During Baby KM's 5 A.M. feeding, I decided to start a blog. I literally wrote my first post in my head as I nursed, excited to get it all out and on "paper". Well, sleep won, it would have to wait until now. It probably won't sound even close to as cool as it did in my head early this morning, so bear with me.
*I have not had my coffee yet so do not hold me accountable for what I am about to say.
Being a mom is hard. Being a mom of a two-and-a-half year old is extremely hard. Many people call this period of growth the "Terrible Two's", and in most ways, I agree with this term. KJ is super smart, determined, athletic and hilarious. On the other side of this she is super ornery, stubborn, wild and....okay, still hilarious. She is learning that she is, in fact, her very own person, making her very own decisions. These decisions are mostly selfish and go against what my husband and I agree with. It can get, well, terrible.
Example number 1:
It is nap-time, the most dreaded part of KJ's day. After fighting for about 30 minutes, she finally lays down. For a second. Then pops back up to talk some more. I scold her. Instead of listening and following directions, she picks up a toy screwdriver (how did that get in the bed?) and chucks it at me. Only it doesn't hit me, it hits her innocent baby sister square in the head. Did I mention KM was FINALLY dozing off in my arms? Not anymore. She was ticked off. I was ticked off.
That was terrible. Her temper tantrums are terrible. The amount of energy it takes to stay on top of this behavior and coach her, train her and mold her into the person she will eventually become is terrible. Thus, "Terrible Two's".
I will say, though, these days are also terrific. Amidst the tantrums, acting out, and impulsive behavior of a very typical toddler, there are sweet moments. KJ is very soft-hearted. If you cry, she cries. If you're hurt, she asks how she can help and kisses you. She offers a life-time supply of bandaids for every ailment, loves helping with the dishes and, on most days, I would consider her my best friend. She's my buddy, my side kick. She loves the coffee shop, sports, and reading. I wouldn't trade her or her typical toddler behavior for the world!
Cheers to Three Years Old....I hear it gets even better! :)
-Court

Comments
Post a Comment