KJ's favorite movie is Frozen, imagine that. She could watch it over and over, all day everyday. If it wouldn't be considered horrible parenting, I would totally let her. Now, as everybody who has seen the movie knows, the song "Let it Go" is a pretty catchy tune. KJ sings it very beautifully (ok, just loud) throughout the day, entertaining myself and her sleeping sister. She closes her eyes, does hand motions and really gets into it. I call her Ray Charles.
Anyways, this post has nothing to do with the movie except for the title of that ridiculous song that is stuck in everybody's head. Let it Go.
I am the type of person that likes to have everything in order. I make lists. Lots and lots of lists. I have a planner, a budget book, a calendar on my phone, meal menu on the fridge, blah blah blah. Some may call me a control-freak, I won't deny it. As you can imagine, becoming a mom was a shock to the system. Babies change everything. Your sleep and daily lives are flipped upside down by one tiny little person. After KJ was born, I got things back in order fairly early. I had her on a sleeping schedule, feeding schedule, even an activity schedule. I figured that after having KM, sure things would be rocky, but we'd gain our footing and continue with my control-freak ways. Yeah. That never happened.
Shortly before KM was born, B and I bought our first house. We put in new carpet and fresh paint. This house was our fresh start in the world of adulthood. I was 31 weeks pregnant and felt that I needed to keep the house perfect. No toys allowed on the main floor (I mean KJ had a playroom for a reason) and no clutter on the counters. I stressed myself to the max trying to keep our new house PERFECT. Looking back, that was silly.
Fast forward to the day we brought KM home. Although I had just given birth, I still felt the need to have everything perfect. I remember arriving at the house and immediately unpacking all of our bags and organizing. I could not (would not) rest until everything was exactly where it should be. This behavior continued for about a month and a half before I realized what it was doing to myself and my family. I was waking every 2 hours to nurse my new baby, dealt with a clingy toddler who was adjusting to life as a big sister, and helping a husband who was working overtime and finishing his degree. It finally hit me that it doesn't matter if my house is a little unorganized, we have young children!
I am all for taking pride in your home. My house is not spotless, but it is not filthy. There are toys on the stairs (watch out for KJ's dinosaurs, they have spikes) and I don't make my bed every morning (GASP). But my husband comes home to dinner on the table, happy and healthy kids, our clothes are clean and grass mowed. So where does Frozen come into all this rambling? I've learned to LET IT GO. And my family thanks me for it.
Although the creepy toys staring at me while I enjoy the rare hot bath need to be put away. Not cool.
We need to let go of the pressures to be perfect, because guess what, it's impossible! Cut yourself some slack and enjoy life. That time you would have spent changing out the cute kitchen towel with the day of the week on it (don't laugh, I did this for a month) could have been used to chase your toddler and give them tons of kisses instead. You'll have plenty of time to have a dirt-free, picture-perfect home when the kids are grown up and out of the house. And sadly, that comes sooner rather than later, or so I have been told.
*I lied, even after the kids move out there will still be clutter. Your husband will always leave his dirty socks lying in random places (kitchen, couch, stairs, etc). Good thing we love these men :)

Comments
Post a Comment